About Me

My photo
TsooRad is a blog for John Weber. John is a Skype for Business MVP (2015-2018) - before that, a Lync Server MVP (2010-2014). My day job is titled "Technical Lead, MS UC" - I work with an awesome group of people at CDW, LLC. I’ve been at this gig in one fashion or another since 1988 - starting with desktops (remember Z-248’s?) and now I am in Portland, Oregon. I focus on collaboration and infrastructure. This means Exchange of all flavors, Skype, LCS/OCS/Lync, Windows, business process, and learning new stuff. I have a variety of interests - some of which may rear their ugly head in this forum. I have a variety of certifications dating back to Novell CNE and working up through the Microsoft MCP stack to MCITP multiple times. FWIW, I am on my third career - ex-USMC, retired US Army. I have a fancy MBA. One of these days, I intend to start teaching. The opinions expressed on this blog are mine and mine alone.

2011/08/26

Cross-forest E2010 user moves

The Issue

Recently, I had to migrate/move users from E2003 to E2010 cross-forest.  FIM took care of the basic user objects (MEU’s) in the new forest, so I developed the following.  It would seem that this process, while hinted at in various websites, blogs, and articles, was always sort of vague – and in my case the permissions referenced were not enough to complete the tasks.  The source object modifications failed.  As I was doing the moves with a domain admin/org admin in the target, I had no issues there.

The Solution

csv format

# remember to not have a trailing line feed after the last entry

# - it causes the script to loop on a blank line

# - you can also remove the database field and e2010 will distribute mailboxes automatically among the available databases

---

identity,database

%m@domain.com,databasename

%m@domain.com,databasename

---

Perms needed

# The various texts indicate much less perms (recipient admin and local admin to the server) than I show here.

# These work much better!

Target: Domain Admin and Exchange Org Administrator

Source: Domain Admin and e2003 Full Admin

--- script follows ---

$SourceCredentials = Get-Credential

$TargetCredentials = Get-Credential

set-location "D:\program files\microsoft\exchange server\v14\Scripts"

import-csv d:\migrationcsvfiles\testusers.csv | foreach {.\Prepare-MoveRequest.ps1 -Identity $_.identity -RemoteForestDomainController whateveritis.domain.com -RemoteForestCredential $sourceCredentials -LocalForestDomainController whateveritis.domain.com -LocalForestCredential $targetCredentials -UseLocalObject}

# I noticed some random AD GUID errors when running both lines at once, so I started  the top four lines, then did not copy in the line return after the new-moverequest and things stop erroring. YMMV.

import-csv d:\migrationcsvfiles\testusers.csv | foreach {New-MoveRequest -Identity $_.identity -RemoteLegacy -TargetDatabase $_.database -RemoteGlobalCatalog whateveritis.domain.com -RemoteCredential $sourceCredentials -DomainController whateveritis.domain.com -TargetDeliveryDomain "domain.com"}

---

No comments:

AudioCodes 400HD firmware v3.04

Those fine folks (and apparently busy beavers) at AudioCodes have popped a new IP Phone firmware release out into the wild. Brings a nice ne...