About Me

My photo
TsooRad is a blog for John Weber. John was a Skype for Business MVP (2015-2018) - before that, a Lync Server MVP (2010-2014). My day job is titled "Technical Lead, MS UC" - I work with an awesome group of people at CDW, LLC. I focus on collaboration and infrastructure. This means Exchange of all flavors, Skype, LCS/OCS/Lync, Windows, business process, and learning new stuff. I have a variety of interests - some of which may rear their ugly head in this forum. I have a variety of certifications dating back to Novell CNE and working up through the Microsoft MCP stack to MCITP multiple times. FWIW, I am on my third career - ex-USMC, retired US Army. I have a fancy MBA. One of these days, I intend to start teaching. The opinions expressed on this blog are mine and mine alone.


Outlook Anywhere cannot be disabled

Onsite with a client and we are having issues with getting Exchange 2010 to enumerate CAS websites.

Here is the lovely error we got: 


An IIS directory entry couldn't be created. The error message is The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.  . HResult = -2147023169 + CategoryInfo:NotInstalled: (servername\Rpc (Default Web Site):ADObjectId) [Get-OutlookAnywhere],

Oh lovely.  Cannot enable, disable, or get anywhere with this.  Poked, prodded, googled, etc.  Nada.  Finally, in disgust, I believe what I am being told, to whit:

Action 'Disable Outlook Anywhere' could not be performed on object 'servername.'

The Outlook Anywhere feature has multiple configurations on servername.domain.com.

OK, so where does powershell get this data from?  AD.  So off we go to AD.  And what did I find hiding out:

CN=Rpc (Default WebSite),CN=HTTP,CN=Protocols,CN=servername, CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=ExchangeOrgName,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com


Two, count ‘em TWO RPC definitions.  Yup, the server (and AD) thought there were multiple configurations.  I carefully deleted one, and restarted the server.  And now I get much better response in enumerating Exchange web sites/services.  And OA can be configured again.

How it got there I have zero idea.  Three other CAS servers in the Org are just fine.  This one was just fine until about 1750 on 28 June 2011 when it was modified (according to AD) both at the same time.  Some sort of hitch in the get-along as far as I can tell.



Lync to CUCM Step Through


The above link shows step-by-step configuration tasks to set up the Direct SIP connectivity between Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM) and Lync Server 2010. These steps include configuration of the media bypass feature that optimizes media flow by allowing Lync endpoints to directly establish a media connection with a gateway or private branch exchange (PBX) without going through the Lync Server Mediation Server.

test 02 Feb

this is a test it’s only a test this should be a picture