About Me

My photo
This is a blog for John Weber. One of my joys in life is helping others get ahead in life. Content here will be focused on that from this date forward. John was a Skype for Business MVP (2015-2018) - before that, a Lync Server MVP (2010-2014). I used to write a variety of articles (https://tsoorad.blogspot.com) on technical issues with a smattering of other interests. I have a variety of certifications dating back to Novell CNE and working up through the Microsoft MCP stack to MCITP multiple times. FWIW, I am on my third career - ex-USMC, retired US Army. I have a fancy MBA. The opinions expressed on this blog are mine and mine alone.

2009/03/17

windows update on ws08

Just ran into a really stupid issue.

Silly me, I decided to fully update a ws08 server before installing Exchange 2007 SP1 onto that host.

BITS was on, Update was set to notify but don’t download.

WS08 is actually a VM on hyper-v.  Internet access was good.

I could update update itself, and update got me the list of recommended updates and whatnot, complete with device drivers and everything, but it would not download anything.  

The oh-so-helpful result of running Windows Update was:  “windows update encountered an unknown error 80200010”

None of the fixes worked, but I did find a little blurb that indicated that the error code meant that there was no valid network.  Bullshit says I.  Alas, nothing fixed it.  Only 67 returns in Google for that error phrase.  I tried them all, but number 67 was the hint about “no network.”  After verifying the network was indeed there, I cycled the NIC.

Walla!  Success.  You must be kidding me.  When the VM first started, I had fat-fingered the default gateway, and I am betting that the BITS never picked up on me fixing that…but cycling the NIC caused it to reread.

No comments:

test 02 Feb

this is a test it’s only a test this should be a picture