About Me

My photo
This is a blog for John Weber. One of my joys in life is helping others get ahead in life. Content here will be focused on that from this date forward. John was a Skype for Business MVP (2015-2018) - before that, a Lync Server MVP (2010-2014). I used to write a variety of articles (https://tsoorad.blogspot.com) on technical issues with a smattering of other interests. I have a variety of certifications dating back to Novell CNE and working up through the Microsoft MCP stack to MCITP multiple times. FWIW, I am on my third career - ex-USMC, retired US Army. I have a fancy MBA. The opinions expressed on this blog are mine and mine alone.

2015/06/25

SfB Front End Prerequisite Install Script

In the SfB documentation, there are two separate references to installing operating system prerequisites before you can install Skype for Business Server 2015 Front ends.  In case you have not compared them, here are the two references:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn933900.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn951388.aspx

For the analytical types, comparing the two versions of the PowerShell scripts reveals differences.  I spent a little time comparing the two and then combining them into one string.  Oh, and I tested the outcome by installing a SfB Standard Edition just to check my work.

Here is the script:

Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Core, RSAT-ADDS, Windows-Identity-Foundation, Web-Server, Web-Static-Content, Web-Default-Doc, Web-Http-Errors, Web-Dir-Browsing, Web-Asp-Net, Web-Net-Ext, Web-ISAPI-Ext, Web-ISAPI-Filter, Web-Http-Logging, Web-Log-Libraries, Web-Request-Monitor, Web-Http-Tracing, Web-Basic-Auth, Web-Windows-Auth, Web-Client-Auth, Web-Filtering, Web-Stat-Compression, Web-Dyn-Compression, NET-WCF-HTTP-Activation45, Web-Asp-Net45, Web-Mgmt-Tools, Web-Scripting-Tools, Web-Mgmt-Compat, Desktop-Experience, Telnet-Client, Server-Media-Foundation, BITS

I only did this for the Server 2012 R2 prerequisite installs, because, frankly, I cannot understand why anyone would install a new SfB server on anything but 2012 R2.

YMMV

3 comments:

m said...

Do you really need to have Desktop-Experience installed at the same time as Server-Media-Foundation ?
If not then it seems the correct article would be https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn933900.aspx which cover it all as far as I can see.

tsoorad said...

@M that is a great question. What I did was to take the two different scripts provided by the product team as shown in the two references, and combine them. I did a simple compare and made one script that did not duplicate anything, but had all the elements of each. Then ran a test install.

tsoorad said...

This script still works for sfb 2015 on server 2016.
This script still works for sfb 2019 on server 2019.

Desktop-Experience no longer needed for either on server 2016 or higher.

test 02 Feb

this is a test it’s only a test this should be a picture